Use of the software
 Max zoom level in OKMap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fortidelgarda

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2024 :  10:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Fortidelgarda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A novice question, but limitation in demo version does not allow me to test this myself.

For my mapping project (WWI fortifications) I need to record many small tracks densely packed in a small area (many are just a few metres long).

In order to properly display them with some detail, I need very high zoom levels.
For several years I have been using CompeGPS (an otherwise quite bad software, IMHO) for the sole reason that it appears to be the only program allowing such high zoom levels.
Of course, no maps can be displayed at those zoom levels, but this is not a problem when a very small area of a few dozen metres across is displayed.
CompeGPS can zoom as much as displaying a 1.5m distance across approx 2cm on a 21" screen (approx 5cm/pixel on screen).

What is maximum zoom level OKmap can achieve? Unfortunately, this is one of the explicit limitations in the demo version, so there's no way I can check by myself.

Thank anyone for an answer

Quod non inveniam, inventam

okmap

Italy
2578 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2024 :  11:17:49  Show Profile  Visit okmap's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OkMap goes up to 100,000% magnification for a raster map.
It means that a single map pixel can take up the entire screen.
Go to Top of Page

okmap

Italy
2578 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2024 :  11:22:55  Show Profile  Visit okmap's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please do not open a new topic for the same topic but continue to write on the same one, otherwise it will become difficult to follow the reasoning and answers provided.
If you want, I can provide you with a map in OkMap format downloaded from the internet, but I need you to give me the necessary parameters (see Utilities - Map Server function).
PS Please continue writing by replying to this topic.
Go to Top of Page

Fortidelgarda

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2024 :  18:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Fortidelgarda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you okmap for your reply.
No need to send me a map, thank you: in fact I don't even need a map when I reach such levels of zoom (not much sense in a map that will only display a few square metres of terrain: no map can really provide information at such levels).
All I need is to magnify enough that 2-5 metres long tracks are displayed on a reasonably redable screen size.

Attached is (hopefully) a small screenshot containing a few small tracks (in fact two small caves and a portion of thrench, measung about 5 metress across), to illustrate the level of zoom I need to reach.
Reasonably enough, the underlying map does not ptovide any information, just a background, but that's fine.
The scale bar illustrates the zoom level (whole image may occupy the whole screen).
For unknown reasons, most programs I evaluated do not seem to reach anywhere close to this zoom level, resulting in such small features appearing as little more than tiny dots.

In short, I guess that "100.000% magnification should do the job, if not even overkill

Thank you!
Allegato : Zoom level.zip#9;34.86 KB

Go to Top of Page

okmap

Italy
2578 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2024 :  18:53:17  Show Profile  Visit okmap's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Allegato : Immagine 2024-01-21 184956.zip#9;1.03 KB

This image is just over two pixels of a map measuring 6890 x 5080 pixels. You can see the scale at the bottom right.
Go to Top of Page

Fortidelgarda

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2024 :  22:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Fortidelgarda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Impressive.
Definitely up to my needs.
Thank you okmap!

Go to Top of Page

okmap

Italy
2578 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2024 :  08:11:25  Show Profile  Visit okmap's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Naturally the calculations are rounded to the nearest pixel so the precision at those levels is relative.
If you have a gpx file containing data that is meaningful to you, send it to me so I can show you how it is represented.
Go to Top of Page

Fortidelgarda

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2024 :  09:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Fortidelgarda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am attaching the gpx file from an area approx 40x50 where some features of reasonable size are recorded.
This extension can easily be zoomed full screen in CompeGPS but NOT with any other program.
Given your previous indications, I expect OkMap may enlarge even much more than that, although that is not really necessary.

Thank you,

Allegato : Sample area 50x40m.GPX#9;10.89 KB

Go to Top of Page

okmap

Italy
2578 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2024 :  10:21:00  Show Profile  Visit okmap's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please, you should zip the gpx file because gpx isn't a recognized mime type.
Go to Top of Page

Fortidelgarda

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2024 :  11:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Fortidelgarda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Done as per your request

Allegato : Sample area 50x40m.zip#9;1.88 KB

Go to Top of Page

okmap

Italy
2578 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2024 :  15:24:43  Show Profile  Visit okmap's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've sent you and email with WeTransfer.
Go to Top of Page

Fortidelgarda

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2024 :  16:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Fortidelgarda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you!
I cannot zoom the map provided due to trial version's limitations, but the zoomed screenshots you sent are impressive (features just 4-5 metres across can be enlarged virtually fullscreen!).
I am publishing these results here, in case anybody else finds them useful.

Allegato : OkMap test.zip#9;85.54 KB

Go to Top of Page

okmap

Italy
2578 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2024 :  16:58:43  Show Profile  Visit okmap's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Consider that they can still be zoomed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
OkMap forum © 2018 OkMap Go To Top Of Page